There's A Lizard Under My Bed.

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

So our internets don’t work right now. I downloaded a game a few days ago, and apparently it screwed up the internet?? I didn’t know downloading something screws up internet..? So I guess Rob’s trying to fix it. I don’t know when it will be working well again. It only works every now and then. My computer says that it’s connected to the internets, but won’t load anything. It suckssss.

The past few days have been less animal filled than the first few days, and more filled with grunt work. Guess what I did today?? Raking! Huzzah! Okay, I actually didn’t do too much raking. I did, however, spend a fair amount of time inside bird enclosures picking up branches and leaves and cleaning them up a bit. There are these cockatoos, I think they are called yellow-tailed blacks. They are so funny. One is named Shredder and the other is Cracker. Cracker is silly. He at the top of the rake.. I stabbed my hand on the little splinters he left sticking out. I just realized that I used shredder and splinter within the last few sentences. Baha. Accidental multiple TMNT references. Cool. So yeah Cracker is caraaaazzzy. He makes weird not cockatoo like noises. He was talking a little bit, of course we didn’t know what he was saying, but he sounded like he was having a conversation with someone. He’s very cute. He was hanging out with us, and mostly getting in the way. Shredder wouldn’t hang out with us. I made another cockatoo friend today. I think his name is Reggie. He is pretty much exactly the same bird as Cracker, except he is red and black instead of black and yellow. I was cleaning up his cage, and he kept scooting closer on this big branch above my head. Finally he hopped onto my back while I was bent over picking stuff up. He stayed on my back/shoulder the whole time I was in there. I wish I got a picture! Haha. He didn’t bite me or anything. Although, I could for sure feel his little talons through my shirt. Sharp.

Hmm. I cut up monkey food. I helped sort through the food the grocery store brought over. I took some chocolate muffin tops. I thought it was really weird that they sell muffin tops. I didn’t know places did that, and I thought maybe it was an Aussie thing, but Justine informed me that “Uhh yeah they sell them everywhere. Duh.” So silly me! Today on the walk to work there was something in my eyelashes that was bothering me, but I couldn’t get it out. I asked Justine if there was something there, and she was like, “Did you put make up on? It’s probably just that.” Uhhhhhh I wear make up every day and I think I would’ve noticed before today if it tended to block my vision. Thanks for that though. She continued with, “I would never wear make up to this job.” I responded saying, “Well I don’t wear much. Just a little. I look like a zombie without any.” She was like, “Ohh I guess I wear a little..” I think she felt sheepish for saying it’s ridiculous to wear make up to work, but then realized that she in fact does wear make up to work. Ha. Take that.

Most of today was like any other day. Going around with Adam to feed the monkeys, curlews, kookaburras, possum, etc. Cutting up food for various animals. Cleaning. Raking. Cleaning. Sweeping. Prepping food. Touching gross little dead fishies to put them in in container for the fairy penguins. Those scales are so gross. They stick to your hands like no other. I found one stuck to my hand like an hour later.

One of the Lion tailed macaques went blind. So sad. I’m not sure what happened, but she’s blind now. Her name is Bala.

They call chocolate milk, iced chocolate here. Weird.

I’m very sleepy right now, so I’m extra scatterbrained. Clearly.
I might be going to Festivale this weekend. Erin says there are bands that play and all sorts of performers and lots of tasty food. Oh, as well as lots of drinking! Yay for me! Ha. She was like, “Yeah there’s heaps of drinking and wine and cheese tasting. It’s so great.” I guess I’ll go eat some cheese or something. I like cheese. Another intern from the Autralearn program that’s south of us in Hobart is coming up this weekend I believe. So we will have another girl here. Justine was saying, “Yeah we can go to a liquor store when we’re in town on Friday so that we can drink.” I think maybe I’ll hide in my room, or go walk around by myself outside. Ha. Aimee is really nice though. I actually got along with her pretty well when we were all in Cairns. Justine was also thinking about flying to Melbourne for a weekend, like next week. Reed, another intern, is there. He was cool as well. Tickets to fly there are pretty cheap I guess, like forty bucks one way. I might go. I don’t know how fun it would be for me though.. I would like to explore more of Australia. I just don’t want to end up exploring it by being stuck with a bunch of drunk people in bars or something. I want to actually check out the city. We will see.

0 comments:

Post a Comment