It’s raining today, and I had to walk home in it, but I’m in a surprisingly great mood. I held a little baby ringtail possum today. It was quite possibly one of thee most adorable things in the world. We were feeding it. I say it because we didn’t know if it’s a girl or boy. I kept calling it a her. She had little dagger claws and scratched me, but I think it’s cause she was nervous. She was fine after a few seconds. I held her while Adam used a little syringe thing to feed her milk formula ish stuff. I can’t even describe how happy I feel when I get to do cool things like this. I helped feed this little possum. I feel so good about myself! I don’t think I want to do something in a zoo when I get out of school. I want to do something like this where I do things like take care of baby animals or sick animals or injured animals. Apparently a lot of people around Australia find injured wallabies and take them in a take care of them and stuff. Erin has taken in heaps of wallabies. Harrison and Flora are two that she took care of and brought to the zoo because I guess it’s illegal to take in wallabies now.. She was telling me about having them at her house. I guess she would come home and they would be outside in the backyard by the door hopping up and down wanting her to let them in so they could be with her. How fun is that?! Harrison is almost a year old. So cute.
Anyway, yeah so today was a good day. Justine didn’t work today cause she works Sunday through Wednesday, so I was the only intern there. Rob called me Justine today, apparently I looked really appalled by that. Hahah. Thursday is branch day, I may have mentioned it previously. Basically we replace all the branches in all the cages and stuff. Specifically bird, monkey, and quoll cages. I went with Aaron and Adam in the Land Cruiser to go into the bush and get branches. Now the Land Cruiser is beat the heck up. It’s pretty much dead. Ha. So we got out into the bush and got all the branches loaded up in the trailer and what not, only to realize that the Land Cruiser wouldn’t start anymore.. We had to walk like 10 ish minutes to get back to the zoo. Rob took the zute to jump start the Cruiser I guess cause we got the branches eventually. It was really funny though. Last time I was out getting branches with Adam, the chainsaw wouldn’t work. Haha. I think I may be a jinx or something.
So I think everyone in Australia is a serial relationship person. Everyone that works at the zoo beside Justine and I is in a relationship, and any other Aussies I’ve met have been in relationships as well. It’s a bit weird. They always say things like, “Yeah wouldn’t want to upset your boyfriend eh?” and I’m like, “Well I don’t have one.” They seem surprised that not everyone is in a relationship or something. They say stuff like, “What? Why not?” Like you can just snap your fingers and be in a relationship. Weird. Anyway, they were all talking about Valetine’s Day today. Aaron is getting roses for his woman and taking her horseback riding on two white horses on the beach. Romantic. The others dunno what they are doing. Not that I ever do anything on Valentine’s Day, but I was kind of sad that I don’t have some boy that plans elaborate things for me like riding horses on the beach. I want to go ride horses on the beach. Speaking of holidays, Adam and I were talking about holidays because someone had been talking about Christmas and how hot it was. I was like, “Man it is SO weird that you guys have Christmas during the summer. Does that mean you guys have different Christmas songs??” Cause, you know, we have all these Christmas songs that talk about snow and stuff. Haha. He said they just don’t sing the ones with snow in them except frosty the snowman. They also don’t really celebrate Halloween, some people do kind of, but it’s not too big. I think Americans are just really big on having reasons to spend money, and celebrate stuff. Haha. I remember when it had just been Australia Day and Erin was like, “Yeah it’s the same as your Fourth of July. I can’t believe that’s what you guys call it. Fourth of July. So weird.” It is a bit weird. I know it’s called Independence Day as well, but still, I think most people just say the fourth of july. Maybe we should start calling it America Day.
We talked about Mexican food today. I miss it very much. I really miss Taco Bell actually. Hahah. Anyway, Adam was like, “Yeah I love fajitas!” Except he pronounced the j. Hehe. We spoke spanish to each other for a little bit. It was fun. Today was a super chill day. It was good. Not much happened though, besides the possum thing of course. Oh I played with red dog. One of the dingoes. We cleaned out the dingo/aussie dog enclosure. White dog wouldn’t play with us, but red dog loves getting up in our business. He ran up a log and jumped at Aaron and he caught her. It was so funny. Erin has a video of red dog doing the same thing to her. Haha. Red dog let me pet her and stuff for a long time. It was fun. I love her. I realize that I keep switching from ‘he’ to ‘her’, I really have no idea if red dog is a boy or girl, they just call them red dog and white dog. Whatever. They are super fun.
So I was cutting corn today, and we have to cut the edges off and then cut it in half then cut the halves down the middle. It’s more difficult than it sounds. So today I chopped off the end of one piece and banged my knuckles on the edge of the counter. I took off a little chunk of skin. My knuckles have been bleeding all dang day. They stopped after a bit, but then I had to chop corn again, and I just kept smacking my knuckles against the counter! Poor knuckles. I just need to figure out the best way to cut the corn without killing myself. Haha. I also had a whole bag of grapes, I had to cut each one in half. It was a bit ridiculous. It took forever. I spend quite a bit of time cutting food. I don’t mind though. It’s kind of fun chopping food up, actually.
I think I’m gaining weight. Booooo. I think it’s because I walk around all day (so my calves actually look pretty dang good) and then I come home and do NOTHING. Bleh. I need to start doing my p90x. Sighhhh.
Yeah that’s about it for today mates.
PS. I actually just did my p90x for the day. I rock.
Also, our water is like from a tank and it emptied today and so it's filling back up but I guess that means it's murky and gross. Our water is brownish. So I just worked out and I don't want to take a shower. I'm all shweaty.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment