I'm Bringing Sexy Backkk.

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

So today I met another of the employees. His name is Adam. He is extremely chatty. He has some girlfriend that just had twins or something. I dunno. Anyway, I was walking around with him for a bit today, feeding the monkeys, the tassie devil feed, clipping a bird’s wings, all that jazz. He kept asking me about everything. “What’s your hobbies?” “Got a big family?” “Who’s your favorite author?” “What’s your favorite animal?” Etc. He’s a funny guy though. We joked around and he taught me heaps of stuff. So I have two rather hilarious Adam stories. First one: He was telling me about these other interns they had previously. It was two rather hefty girls who couldn’t even hop over the fences into most of the enclosures. Apparently they were also rather dim. One of them asked Adam if they had any elephants at the zoo. Adam’s response was, “Oh yeah, we just got two really large ones in recently.” Bahaha. They poor girl totally believed him and was like “Oh cool!” It took her a few days to figure out it was an insult. Really really mean, but really really funny. I told him if he tries messing with me like that he better watch his back. Ha. Okay okay second one: Adam and I were sorting through some veggies and bread and stuff. It was just us and he was chatting away and asking questions, on and on. Then he was like, “So earlier before I met you guys, I was talking to Aaron (Boy) and I asked him if the Americans enjoyed their first day and stuff, and he said that they did and it was two girls. So I asked him if they were sexy and he said, ‘Well one of them is, her name’s Caitlin.’ And so I told him that I would tell you. He obviously doesn’t know me well.” Hahaha. So boy Aaron thinks I’m sexayyy. Which is weird because I was soaked to the bone yesterday and my hair was like plastered to my head. Also, later all of us were together and Adam says something like “Oh hey Rob did you hear what Azza (apparently it’s what some boy Aarons go by) here said? He thinks Caitlin’s sexy.” So poor Azza was a bit embarrassed it seemed, but he was also like, “No I didn’t say anything like that.” Adam seems like he likes to just mess around with people, so Azza probably didn’t say I’m sexy. Haha. Not that it really matters. After Adam was making fun of Az, he was like “Okay Azza take the girls down to the dogs to do the hay” and Azza was just like “Ha. No..” It was way funny. He still did of course. It was just funny. Today Azza was walking around in a tank top. Man is that boy tan. He has a pretty cool looking tattoo on one of his shoulders. I didn’t really get to see it though. He also has this little spot in his hair on the back of his head that’s bleached, which is pretty cool actually. Although, there’s a little bit of pink in it as well I think. I didn’t work with him much today. I mostly worked with Adam and a little bit with Rob, and I finally did something with out any supervision! Of course that’s because it wasn’t challenging at all.. Hah. I went around to about half of the bird enclosures and put some corn in for them. There are these big black and yellow birds that I went to bring corn to, and one of them saw me and was hanging onto the door that I go into, super psyched for his corn. He was really silly. I like him.

So some other things I did today.. It was quite a bit different from yesterday. We learned how to feed the roos and emus and deer. The animals are so chill. Heaps of them will just let you pet them. So I was petting some of the roos as I walked around them. The emus scare me a bit. They are freaking huge and they make weird noises and just are a little creepy. I don’t think I like birds very much. Ha. Speaking of birds. I forgot to mention Marigold in my last post I think. She’s this Macaw. Beautiful bird.. and has a very deep hatred for me. Ha. Erin (I learned that that’s how you spell her name. Also Rob calls her Esme cause it’s an old lady name and I guess he thinks she acts like a grandma.. I don’t really know. Ha. And they all call boy Aaron, Azza or Az. I dunno how you would spell it, but that’s kind of how I imagine it.) took me yesterday to feed Marigold and she was like, “Alright, let’s see if she likes you!” ... Okay I think maybe I did write about this yesterday.. I can’t remember. Long story short, yesterday Marigold snapped at me and flew at my head. Crazy bird. So today Erin goes, “Let’s see how Marigold feels about you today.” Ha. So I went into Marigold’s cage, and she immediately starts like hissing and saying “Cashew!” in a pretty creepy bird voice and snapping at my hands. I was actually a little terrified of the stupid bird. I wish she liked me. Justine got attacked by the Capuchins today. Haha. I guess they were nipping at her ankles and such. The animals just don’t really like new people.. However, one animal that does like me is the wombat! I freaking love the wombat! We had to take some hay and put it in some of the animals little homes. I did the wombats. I coaxed her out of her little home and she came over and sniffed me and put her paws on my legs while I put new hay in her home. When I left she followed me out, and she like never comes out of her home. We also put hay in the Australian dogs thing. They are so funny! Super cute. They act just like dogs. They came over jumping on us. One of them climbed on top of his little hut and jumped on top of me. Az was like, “Yeah they love doing that, you gotta catch them.” So next time I’m going to catch him. They wanted attention so they kept getting in the way when we were putting down the hay. Ha. I also had to put hay in the chuck’s house. Yeah, I didn’t know what “chucks” were so I kinda looked at Erin and was like, “Er... yeaaaah I’ll totally do that.. if you tell me what chucks are..” Haha. She was like, “Oh riiiiiight, you guys call them chickens (she said it in an American accenty voice. Ha.). That’s so weird.” So it’s not pronounced exactly like chucks. It’s kinda in between chucks and choocks. Chuucks. I dunno. I can say it proper now though. Haha. Every person here has said, “Hey how do you emu?” I can say that proper too. They say “Right-o” heaps. Right-o. I’m going to start saying it. And rubbish. And heaps. And chuucks/choocks. Hahah.

They have “tea” here. So instead of like, “Hey I’m going to take my fifteen.” You know, like a break. They have one break all together, and it’s called tea. So they’ll be like, “Oh it’s about tea time.” They also say, “Home time.” For when works done. They also call dinner, tea. Which doesn’t make much sense to me. Adam was like “So has Rob invited you guys for tea yet?” and I’m like, “Err.. tea? No..” There’s this guy Dick, he’s a bit old and he is the hardest Aussie to understand that I’ve met. Justine and I always have to say what after everything he says. Anyway, so I guess everyday the have tea time and that entails everyone getting a coffee or hot chocolate made for them in the little food place. The hot chocolate is actually very good. The lady asked me if I wanted sugar in mine, and I was like oh sure, but then she was like okay one or two cubes. I wasn’t really expecting that since I feel like that’s mostly a coffee thing. Ha. Oh you know what they say heaps too, reckon. “You reckon?” “Yeah I reckon... blah blah blah.” It’s cool. It’s fun learning new things that they say. They love making fun of us about how we say stuff.

Back to zoo things, I guess. Uhm what else did I do today.. Oh I hand fed some banana to the Marmys (Marmosets). Aussies add y’s to everything. I talked about that before. Sunglasses are Sunnys. Etc. The Marmys are probably one of my favorites. They are precious. They also don’t hate me. Haha. The wombat is defo one of my favorites. Love that freaking wombat.

I think I got some sun today. Not sunburn sun, but like my arms look a smidge darker sun. Of course I’m going to have an awful farmers tan.. Thank you too big t-shirt.

The weather here kind of reminds me of Utah. Not because it’s cold, but because it’s bipolar. It was one of the hottest days this summer according to some of the staff. Yesterday was rainy and a bit chilly. Today it was blistering hot and then a bit later it got a bit chillier and started raining. It’s bizarre.

So today we actually did some of the interny type things we mostly expected to be doing. Cleaning, cleaning, cleaning. We had to clean the staff area. Sweeping, wiping out the veggie fridge, wiping out the meat fridge (Which was a bit nasty, blood and fur everywhere.), thawing fish for the penguins, wiping everything else in the room down, raking, oh goodness so much raking. Raking isn’t exactly fun when it’s super hot and you’re dripping sweat and you’re legs hurt. Just not fun. I also went with Robbo to feed the pigs. I had no idea there were pigs. They are a bit hidden from everything. Not on display in the zoo. I asked him why, and he was like, “They’re food pigs..” Saaad.

That’s pretty much all we did today. There’s some other little things we did. I went around with Erin to feed the monkeys. When she fed the Blacks, the little one grabbed three of the cookies and held all of them in its mouth while carrying other food as well. Haha. Another one was holding food with both hands and both feet. They are so funny to watch. Oh my goshhh. So funny. Their bikkies (Cookies. They call them biscuits, so they shorten it to bikkies.) that they use are the Australian version of girl scout cookies! Instead of being called girl scouts, though, they are Girl Guides. Hahaha. So they sell Girl Guide Biscuits. Baha.

0 comments:

Post a Comment