Feelin' Fly Like It's Quidditch.

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Monday:

My brain has totally shut off.

Mmmm Monday Monday Monday. We did a great deal of moving animals about. By we, I mean that Justine and I followed Rob around while he moved animals. We did help a bit I guess. So yeah, they moved lots of quolls. This guy with a large mustache came to the zoo and brought some quolls for us. He also took our little boy wombat.. Rude. Mm he also took all four young emus. Justine and I watched Rob and Adam capture the little emus and stick them in this big cage on the back of stache man’s truck. They make this really heart breaking squealing sound. They were all freaking out in the back of the truck. It was so sad. Anyway, stache guy brought us four new quollies. We have so many. There are likeee eighteen or so quolls in the park, I believe. There are black ones and brown ones. The black ones are my favorite! I love them so much!!

I also about with Adam, feeding the monkeys and such. Usual zoo day stuffs. He kept singing this real stupid song that he only knows one line of. Something about sexual healing. Ha. He’s a pretty strange person. He also was singing that zippity do da song. The splash mountain song. I told him about splash mountain, he said it doesn’t sound that fun. Anyway, he was singing that song when we were at the mandrill cage. So later we were walking by Dick and Adam was like, “Dick you would not believe what Caitlin was singing to the mandrills earlier. Sexual Healing. I just could not believe it!” Dick was just like, “Didn’t you go to church yesterday? What kind of freaky church do you go to?” Adam was like, “Well she repented for all of last weeks sins, so she can do whatever she wants to now!” I just stood there pointing at Adam and shaking my head. I knew that Dick wasn’t being serious anyway. Everyone knows Adam’s a weirdo. Hah.

It’s weird working here. A few of my co workers are extremely vulgar sometimes. Not all the time. It takes me by surprise a little bit because I’ve been in the little Provo bubble for such a long time. Hah. It’s strange being in such a different environment from Provo. I miss my little bubble. Haha.

Aaron wasn’t at work. I dunno why. Speaking of Azza, that boy drinks like three monsters a day. Seriouslyyy. I told him his heart is just going to explode one day. We talked about it at smoko one day when it was just us, no one else showed up for some reason. He bought a monster, and I said some sort of witty remark about it. He responded by saying, “This is my last one! I’m going to quit tomorrow!” I was like, “Yeah okay you woman saying she’s going on a diet, and never going through with it.” The next day he actually didn’t get a monster. However, the day after that he promptly resumed to his twelve thousand monsters a day and his inevitable road to an exploding heart. There are always monsters cans EVERYWHERE around the park. He never throws them away. He just drinks them and sets them wherever he was working. I said something to him about it and he said something about how he is really surprised he hasn’t gotten in trouble yet. Ha. It’s probably because everyone else drinks monsters religiously at the zoo as well. Adam comes in every morning with a huge energy drink. Today it was a Red Bull.

At smoko we got tasty muffins that had been heated up in the oven plus our usual hot chocolate or coffee! Justine had the only blueberry muffin because she said, “I can’t stand chocolate in breakfast foods. It’s just cake if you put chocolate in it.” The rest of us thoroughly enjoyed our tasty choco muffins. Hah. They all tasted like blueberry muffins anyway from being heated up in the oven with the blueberry one. It infused all of our tasty cake muffins with it’s healthy flavor. Rude little muffin.
So we had little burn piles of dead trees and other stuff to clear the area for new devil pens. Justine, Rob, and I were putting stuff on the fire, and we started talking about camp fires and bonfires, etc. Justine and I were talking about smores and we asked Rob if they had them. He was baffled and so we told him what it was. He thought it was totally bizarre. They don’t even have graham crackers. What the heck? We tried explaining graham crackers to him. I don’t think we did a very good job. Hah. Adam walked up when we were talking about it so we told him about it. He was like, “Yeah I’ve heard of smores. It’s when you roast marshmallows over a fire.” We were like, “Well yeah, but you put it between graham crackers and chocolate.” He said that he thought it was just a roasted marshmallow. Hah. Later I was talking to Erin about it, and Adam walked by. Erin was like, “Do you know what this smore thing is?” He was like, “Yeah yeah it’s marshmallows and graham bread.” Graham bread..? Whaaaa. Haha. Everyone thinks it sounds weird. I wanted a smore so badly. Haha. We just kept talking about them all day. Since we were around a fire, Justine and I were also talking about campfire songs and stuff. She’s been a camp leader person a bunch of times so she knows a bunch. All I know are the ones from like girls camp. Hah. I didn’t know if people who aren’t LDS sing the same campfire songs.. I mentioned the shark one, and she started singing it. So we started singing the shark song together for a while. It was like the one time we actually bonded over something and enjoyed it. Hahah. Baby shark do do do do do do baby shark do do do do do do mama shark do do do do do do mama shark do do do do do do..... Etc. Hah that was always my favorite campfire song. We end our shark songs differently though. Apparently they have a part that is “Happy shark do do do do do do” and the hand motions are a fin on top of your head and rubbing your belly. Hehe. I like that one. Also, they end it with “Back to life do do do do do do” instead of “gone to heaven do do do do do do.” Clearly, us morms are more morbid than everyone else. Hah.

Tuesday:

More animal movings! We moved more quolls. It’s mating time apparently. So other than during this time, males and females are separate. So we had to put all the little quollies in pairs. There was this little tiny girl quoll that Rob said to put in with this massive boy quoll. Everyone else thought it was an awful idea and are worried that the big guy is going to kill the little girl. Anyway, so we stayed and watched them interact with each other for a bit, to make sure he didn’t kill her. The little girl immediately climbed up to the top of the viewing window, and wouldn’t come down. So when you walked by their enclosure in the nocturnal house, you saw the bottom half of a little quoll dangling near the top corner of the window. Hah. Adam finally went in and took her down. The boy quoll then chased her around a bit, and she just hissed at him and ran away. It was funny. It reminded me how laid back everything is at the zoo. Hah. We just stood their for like fifteen minutes watching quolls. We moved some devils, as well. I’ve never gone in the adult devil pens because if they bit me, they could potentially take off a foot or hand or something. Their jaw pressure is just under a saltwater croc. Eek. So when I was with Azza and Adam at the devil enclosure, and Adam said, “Righto, hop on in here with us Caitlin.” I was like, “................Sorry, what?” I thought he was kidding because they never let us into the devil enclosures. He was like, “Yeah we might need you to help us. Just get in here.” Then after I hopped in he said, “Actually I just wanted to see if you could hop over that fence.” The fences to these enclosures are a lot higher than the enclosures inside the actual zoo, the enclosure we were at to catch devils wasn’t in a publicly displayed area. I had zero trouble jumping over it. I got mad hops yo. So I was a little wary of being in the devil pen. One of them got a bit close. Adam said that if they got too close, to just stick the bottom of your foot out at them. In my head, I was like, “Yeah that’s defo not going to stop them from snatching my foot from right off of my body.. but whatever helps you.” They don’t seem like they actually want anything to do with humans anyway. They just run away from you. Doesn’t mean I wasn’t a bit nervous. Hah. They caught two from the pen back behind the zoo to switch with two inside the zoo. So they put them in these like dog crates and put them in the back of the zute. The zute only has two seats, so I had to jump in the back with the crates. I was nervous that one of the devils would get out of their crate and eat me. They were going crazy too. They did NOT want to be in those crates. At all. So when we got to the enclosure inside the zoo, he had us go inside that one as well and had US open the crates and let the vicious unhappy creatures out of the crates. Hah. I envisioned many scenarios occurring when I opened the door. One being that they would be so angry with me that they would immediately come at me and eat me. If that happened, there would be nothing left of me for my parents to bury because devils like to eat bones. Maybe if that happened, they would put those devils down and send the devils’ bodies to my parents to bury in a coffin in my stead. Hehh.

So usually in the quoll mix, we put grated carrots and apples and stuff with like ground hamburger ish meat. We didn’t have any defrosted meat today, so I put in a can of dog food and cat food and had to chop up some of the penguins fishes (Which I said that word multiple times today and got laughed at. Why can’t I say fishes?). Then I had to put a glove on a mix the whole thing with my hand. It was probably the nastiest smelling thing ever. Blech. I can’t believe something eats that. Erin was like, “Ehh they eat dead stuff, so they probably have really strong stomachs.”

So Melbourne is this weekend! Justine talked to Reid about what we were planning on doing. We want to go to Melbourne Zoo, but when she told that to Reid he was like, “...Well I actually went there last week solely because I figured since you guys work at a zoo you wouldn’t want to go to a zoo....” Hahah. I guess that was a pretty safe assumption, but we love zoos. Obviously we would want to go. So we are going to go and leave Reid for a bit. I guess it’s not too far from where he lives either, so it won’t be expensive to get there.

Erin is doing studies in Tourism apparently, so she had to do a “tour” today with an assessor in the crowd. She was super nervous. She just did a devil feed/talk, but extended it a bit. I watched a bit of it, but then Adam pulled me away to do works. I was there long enough to hear Erin talking about Tasmanian Tigers, and then when she went back to talk about the devils, she accidentally referred to them as tigers instead of devils. Haha. She didn’t realize she did it. Rob and Adam have been making fun of her all day, not because of the tiger thing, but because of another thing that she does in all of her devil feeds. During the devil feeds, they have a wallaby leg that they hold while the devils gnaw on it and pull at it and stuff. So before they start the devil feed, everyone always warns the visitors that they are feeding them a wallaby leg because it has fur and stuff, so people with weak stomachs would probably hurl. Ha. So Erin does this thing sometimes where she says, “I’m about to jump in with the devils, and I’m going to be passing around a piece of meat. It looks like a wallaby leg. It IS a wallaby leg.” Rob and Adam think it’s the weirdest thing ever, so they’ve been making fun of her. Like when we did groceries, Adam would say stuff like, “It looks like a potato, it IS a potato!” Haha. It was pretty funny, but I didn’t think Erin saying that was that weird.

Justine started singing Like A G6 today at the zoo. So everyone else has been singing it too. We started talking about the parodies that have been done about it. There’s a harry potter one. It’s the greatest thing ever. I’ve had it stuck in my head ALL DAY. I wish I could buy it on itunes or something. I just got reeeeallyyyy excited for the last movie!!! EEEKKK!!!





At some point Justine was like, “So Adam and I had an actual intelligent conversation earlier. We were talking about mustelids and blah blah blahhhh and blah blahhh blaaahhh.... I’m so glad I’ve finally had an intelligent conversation with someone. It’s the first one since I’ve been here!” I wanted to be like, “Awww thanks so much for calling me an idiot! I really love when people do that. I clearly am intellectually stinted compared to you and your gloriously well endowed brain full of knowledge. You’re just the best.” Instead I just nodded and said things at appropriate points like, “That’s way cool.” or “Uhhh huh.” So basically I sounded like the idiot she thinks I am, there ya go. Later, we were in the staff room with Adam, Aaron, and Erin and we were all just about to leave and Justine goes, “Adam thank you for having an actual intellectual conversation with me. It’s the first one I’ve had in a long time.” So now she’s just insulting everyone. Way to go! Earlier in the day or the day before, Adam was talking about how Justine always seems sad and he had finally gotten her to laugh really hard at something. I laugh at absolutely everything because I’m just like that. Ha. Justine just rolls her eyes and says snarky things at anything remotely close to a joke that isn’t up to par for her. I think I’ve figured her out. She is just a really blunt person. She doesn’t say things to be mean or anything, she just says whatever it is that she thinks about something. She also doesn’t seem to understand my sarcastic personality very well. I said a sarcastic comment about something she said. It wasn’t a mean one, but she responded like I had meant whatever it was seriously. I think it was about something she wished she had said, and I was just like, “You should probably just go tell them that now.” Obviously I was joking, that would be dumb, which she then informed me of. Sillly me! So maybe she doesn’t catch when I’m joking or something. Whatevs.

I said Aaron’s name properly when we were doing groceries, and Erin was like, “Oh you said it right! Can you hear the difference now?” I can only sort of hear the difference when they say it. So Erin started saying either her name or Aaron’s and we had to guess which she was saying. Haha. I only got it right a couple times. We didn’t play that game very long. It was funny though. At least I can say it right.. Haha. Justine doesn’t like trying to say his name because she thinks she sounds stupid. I think I sound stupid too, but I really could care less I guess.

I have to do some homeworky type stuff sometimes, but I have to turn it in via email.. My internet hasn’t worked reliably in like a week.. Suckkkkk. I got on for about two seconds. It was long enough for me to get to my email homepage.. and that’s it. Ha. Thank you for teasing me internets. You’re so clever.

Wednesday:

STILL NO INTERNETS! I NEED TO EMAIL MY STUPID HW THING AND IT WON’T LET MEEEEEEEEEE. Curse you internets.. CURSE YOU!!

Justine usually hogs the wombat. I wake up earlier than her, but I’m usually getting ready when she gets up so she goes and feeds the wombat. I fed the wombat today though! Take that!!

Speaking of the little girl wombat, Justine gave her a name. Her name is Rosie. All I think of when I hear that name is my old piano teacher/Mel’s current piano and flute teacher. Also, it is an absolutely BEAUTIFUL day today, so I’m outside sitting on a towel in the grass watching the wombat meander and eat grass. It’s so cute. It would be a perfect day if I had someone tot play catch with or soccer or something. That sounds nice right now.

So work today was good. Just the same as any other day at work, I guess. I haven’t really had any bad work days. That’s pretty cool. People usually come home from work and are like, “Ughhh work sucked today.” I haven’t really felt like that yet. It’s more like, “I’m exhausted from work today.” or “I disliked this particular portion of work today.” Not the whole work day. Today, I disliked the bird feeding portion of the day. It’s just kind of boring. There are a zillion birds, and we go around with this little wagon full of different bird seeds and water and veggies or fruit. So we go to each and every bird cage, unlock it, change the seed, change and clean the water bowl, put fruit or veggies in it, lock it, go to the next one. It’s very monotonous and boring. Usually Erin does it, and Justine and I switch off going with her. Today was my day, but I went with Adam because Erin is at the Cup today. The Cup is a horse race apparently. I guess there are a few horse races that are a big deal. Everyone gets dressed up and goes and drinks wine. Or something. I really have no idea. So yeah, I went with Adam. Everything is pretty fun if you are stuck doing it with Adam. He’s silly and weird. Sometimes it is a bit much, but it’s alright. Today Adam was a bit abusive, on accident mostly of course. Haha. They fed bamboo to the monkeys today. I had no idea that the monkeys would eat bamboo. So Justine and Adam were doing that, and Adam broke off a little piece and whacked Justine with it. Not real hard, just enough to be annoying. Later, I was with Adam in the zute and we were feeding out, which is just when we go around to the animals that get the food that we stick in these buckets, so like to chooks, roos, wallabies, rabbits, wombat, etc. I hopped out of the zute to feed the chooks and when I one foot in the zute, Adam started moving the car and since I wasn’t ready for that, the edge of the car hit me in the back. It was more shocking than anything. Hah. After that he threw a bread roll at me and it hit my chest. Ruuude.

I was telling Adam about Festival of Colors, and when I said the word ‘chalk’, he got so confused. He thought I was either referring to a cut of meat (I still don’t really understand that one..) or chuck, as in to throw or something. It was so funny. We were arguing about it for a while. Aaron and I argued about the word ‘four’. They never pronounce their r’s. Ever.

I really want a silver kelpie puppy. Ranger is the cutest dog ever. One day, I will have one!! I don’t know how easy it is to get them though.. I will do it though!! Yesterday Justine went on a run and Ranger followed her and ran with her. So later Rob came over because he lost Ranger. Hah. He left to go look for him, and then like five minutes later Justine came back with Ranger. The poor dog was breathing sooooo heavily.

There were heaps of freaking bees and crickets around the zoo today. Agghh. So annoying. I wanted to bag up all the crickets for my Rem baby.

OAHSFKJASLKDJASK THIS NO INTERNET THING SUCKSSSSS. I feel 100% cut off from the world!!

Aaron doesn’t know what Ray Bans are. I thought everyone knew what Ray Bans were. Hah.

I’m going to Melbourne tomorrow after work! Yayaya!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment