Let's Dance To Joy Division.

Monday, February 14, 2011

I was in a horrid mood this morning. Last night at around nine thirty, I was laying in bed reading on my kindle. There was no way Justine did not know that I was in the middle of reading, but she comes in, turns the light off, turns her radio on, and goes to bed. Whaaaaaat the heck!? At least say, “Hey I’m going to bed. Do you mind reading in the living room?” But noooooo. Instead it’s, “Hey I really could care less about you, so I’m just going to pretend you aren’t even in here.” Thank you so much! So I stayed up with my little reading light and finished Firelight. Ha. It ends at a horrible spot. It’s all this crazy stuff happening and then BAM last page, and then you’re like, “Waaait.. what just happened and why isn’t there any more pages of this..?” It was a fun book. Mostly the idea behind what the main girl is. So coooool!! I want to be one. I’m not going to spoil it. Yeah, I’m really proud of myself because I started it yesterday and finished it yesterday. I’m awesome. I totally wasn’t tired when I finished it at like eleven. Sooo I sat in bed trying to sleep and failing horribly. I kept waking up all night. So I’ve been a bit sleepy today, to say the least.

Our power went out this morning. We also ran out of water, so I can’t shower right now. I certainly hope I can shower in the morning because I was basically buried in dirt all day today. In fact, at one point Aaron looked at me and was like, “Uhm.. you’ve got a smudge or something on your face.. Here look in my sunnies.” Sure enough pretty much a quarter of my forehead was covered in dirt. Also, I realized afterwards that maybe it was weird that I was looking at my face in his sunnies. By the way, he had new sunnies. I heard all the drama about the buying of them when we were sorting groceries. Apparently, a girl that is not his girlfriend bought him these nice $180 sunnies. His woman was upset because they were the ones she wanted to buy for him for his birthday. It’s all very dramatic.

So yeah, good day today! Only really because of a portion of it. Most of my day involved pulling grass from Cracker and Shredder’s enclosure because we are making it look prettier, then Justine and I spent about two and a half hours in the rabbit enclosure raking leaves. Now, the rabbit enclosure is split in half because I assume it used to be two different enclosures for two different animals, but they stuck some bunnies in there and cut a hole in the middle fence. I asked Adam why they had rabbits, his response was, “Asians reeeealllyyyyyy love to look at rabbits. Sometimes they dress them up and take pictures with them and stuff.” I didn’t know Asians really love rabbits, but today while I was raking the rabbit enclosure, a group of Asians came over and were all really happy to see rabbits and were taking a ton of pictures and stuff. It was one of those “Huh.. I didn’t actually believe it when I was told, but apparently it’s true” moments. Speaking of Adam, he wasn’t at work today so we were at work for an extra hour, but that’s okay, and I’ll talk about why later. Back to raking. So the rabbit enclosure is pretty big, it’s also full of tons of trees, which of course means tons of leaves. Also, it’s a rabbit enclosure which means tons of little holes. That means two things: lots of places for me to snap my ankle in half and lots of places for leaves to be in annoying hard to reach spots. Seriously, my right ankle, which is the one I recently sprained, twists like every day. The paths all have lots of rocks and stuff so I’m always stepping wrong and twisting it. It is NEVER going to feel normal again. Suckkkkk. Anyway, so lots of leaves and holes in a large area. When Aaron said, “Okay, you girls can grab some rakes and do the rabbit enclosure” he might as well have said, “Okay, you girls can grab some rakes and walk into the bush and rake all of that up, mmkay? Thanks!” It took forever. I also have some new blisters on my hands. Plus, I got the crappy rake that had little bits sticking out everywhere giving me splinters. After raking up every leaf, we had to get bags and put ALL the leaves in these bags. We ended up having about eleven completely full bags of leaves, and the bags are pretty large.

Other things I did today include, changing all of the waters! Huzzah! I actually don’t mind changing all the waters. I get to go into most of the enclosures and stuff. It was also bird feeding day. Seriously, there are SO MANY BIRDS here. Feeding them takes forever. Neither Justine nor I enjoy feeding the birds, but it happens twice during our days of working, so we agreed that I will do it Mondays and she will do it Wednesdays. It’s not horrible, it’s just a bit boring. I actually really love most of the birds here. They are all super beautiful birds. There are Australian King Parrots, gorgeous. Sun Conures, also super pretty and really bright, there are like three I think, two are bright orangey and yellowy and the other has a black head and the rest is like neon green, so fun. A Rainbow Lorikeet who whistles to you, and when you whistle back, it whistles a different thing. Whenever I work near it, I’ll whistle with it the whole time. It’s so fun. It only does like four different things, one of course being a wolf whistle. I had to feed Marigold today. I told Aaron that she hates me and would attack me if I went in there. So he distracted her with cashews while I ran in and set her food down, of course I had to set it down on the opposite side of her cage. I got to feed the Marmys today! I love feeding them. I could stand there and hand feed them all day! I love them! I usually stand there and give them some food for a few minutes and then set the rest down. Wouldn’t want to get in trouble or anything. Ha. I also fed the quolls today. We feed them this nasty mixture of grated carrots, potatoes, or apples and eggs (not cooked, just eggs thrown in there and crushed in with everything) and meat (sometimes it’s just like hamburger ish meat or full little fishes that we feed the penguins as well). It’s basically disgusting. I walked around with a bucket full of this lovely stuff and a glove. We have lots of quolls here. So we went to the quoll that snatched my finger last time, they call him Peepo (Like Peep O. I dunno. I think it’s because he was always trying to escape, so he was always peeping out the door when you open it). I was with Aaron so I asked him how he feeds this one efficiently because last time this quoll got antsy for his food. Aaron was telling me how he feeds him, but then when he opened the door, Peepo wasn’t trying to get out, he wasn’t even near the door. So Aaron looked around and saw Peepo.. lying where everyone could see him.. dead. So sad! I know he bit me, but it’s only because I had food in my hand. He was so cute! So Aaron grabbed him by the tail and tossed him next to the door for Rob to deal with. I bet he will be fed to something else. Poor Peepo. Speaking of quolls, there is this quoll that is always up on this little beam in his cage that is right next to the wire that separates us from him, but he has always ran away when someone gets to close. Today he was staying there. I touched his nose. Aaron says it’s a bad thing, because he is getting too tame which means that he won’t be scared when we open the door which means he will try to bolt. Ha. I thought it was exciting.

So to the best part of my day!!!! We were heading to smoko (I seriously don’t know what that even means. It’s pronounces like smoke-o. It’s just when we go to the cafe ish part of the zoo and they give us coffee or hot chocolate. Every day. I get a really tasty free cup of hot chocolate every day. It’s awesome.) and we saw Rob carrying a little case and he goes, “Hey girls can you take this back to the staff room. It’s a baby wombat.” On the outside I’m like, “Oh sure, no big.” On the inside I’m like, “OLSKJFLSKDFJKSDF BABY WOMBAT!!!! COOOOOOLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I WANT TO SEE ITTTT!!!” I think he knew that’s what was going on in my head because he was like, “You guys can take her out and look at her if ya like.” So we took her back to the staff room and pulled her out of her little case. OH. MY. GOODNESS! SO CUTE! So I got to hold her when we brought her back, and then I held her again later when I was in the staff room and no one was there because I love her and then at the end of work we had to feed her which is partially why we had to stay so long, among other things like washing up bowls and stuff. I GOT TO FEED HER! Hehe. I held her in this little blanket thing and had a little bottle and had to open her mouth and stuff and feed her. It was the greatest thing ever. I felt really maternal and wanted to keep her forever and ever and ever. Someone has to watch her over night, so Rob asked Erin and Erin looked at me and was like, “Well Rob I think the girls would love to watch her.” At first Rob was like, “Yeah okay good.” I was so excited! But then he pulled my happy cloud out from under me and was like, “Nah I think I’ll keep her tonight.” Mean dream ruiner.. It’s really sad though cause the baby wombat is completely blind in one eye and about 60% blind in the other. The vet gave rob eye drops to help her combat the blindness because I guess it can be cured maybe. I don’t really know specifics, but if it doesn’t go away, they are going to put her down.. *sob* I said something to Justine about how sad that is, her response was something like, “Well not really, it makes sense so it doesn’t matter. It might as well be useful and get fed to something.” Rude. I would love to have a little blind pet wombat. I would feed it and love it. It would be happy.



Yeah that’s about all that’s happened to me today I reckon. I’m getting a really awful tan line from my long t shirt sleeves.. the back of my neck is getting pretty dark as well. I’m going to look real silly when I’m done working here.

Also, the title is another song by the Wombats because it was another wombat filled day. Thank you wombats and Wombats.

0 comments:

Post a Comment