I've just been titling all of my posts after songs, so this is the song that I was listening to when I posted this. Yeaaah. I've become really uncreative with my titles. Whatever.
Erin collects feathers from the birds at the zoo, so she gives me feathers some times. I have two of Marigold’s very pretty feathers and one of Cracker’s feathers. Marigold’s are yellow and blue. Cracker’s are black and yellow, and the yellow part has tons of little black spots. It’s pretty cool actually.
I slept wrong on my neck last night. My neck has been killing me all day.
So today was pretty good. The weather here is more bipolar than Provo weather. It will be sunny and toasty one second, and then all of a sudden it’s chilly and rainy, but literally a minute later it’ll be sunny again. It’s the strangest thing. My hair does not appreciate it. I like actually blow drying my hair and wearing it in a pony tail at least because I like having reasons to do my hair or look cute or something. Today was a poor day to try doing my hair. It was fluffy all day today. My bangs were out of control. Speaking of my bangs, which they call fringe here, Erin just got an iPhone and she has those apps that you can make someone fat or old and she was showing us pictures of these little kids that she had made old and they were hilarious. I promise this actually does have to do with my fringe. So she made Aaron old and then fat, and then Aaron was like, “Yeahhh make Caitlin fat and old!” So it was my turn, but when she made me old, the phone put wrinkles in my bangs because it assumed that’s where my forehead was. Hahah. I looked freaking creeeeeepy. Bahah by the way, a previous intern used the word ‘creeper’ all the time apparently. I don’t really use that word. I say creep, but I don’t think I ever say creeper, but Adam was telling me about that and he is a bit of a creep sometimes, so I’ll call him a creeper. We’ll have a laugh about it. It’s good. I’m glad that I can have fun with some of the people I work with. Anyway, it’s really funny because they all have these stereotypical Americans in their head, so they ask about certain stuff. Today Aaron said, “Well yeah you guys all just carry guns around with you, don’t ya?” Haaa. I think people think Americans all have guns all the time and that we fight bears and stuff or something.
Okay, I’m listening to this song right now and it has the most fun opening ever. It’s wild. Bar In Amsterdam by Katzenjammer. I actually really enjoy this song. I just found it in my iTunes library like yesterday.
So yeah Aussies, crazy. Also, I asked Aaron what they call popsicles again because I forgot and they call them icy poles. What the heck? I also asked him what smoko means and apparently it’s just an Aussie term for break because it’s like taking a break for a smoke, but it just became a term for a break instead of just having a smoke. Smoke-o. Aaron also taught me another new word. Daggy. It’s like tacky I think. So if someone is wearing tacky stuff you would call them a Dag. Aaron tried doing a southern accent today, it was THEEE worst attempt at a southern accent ever. Haha. It was awesome. He sounded like someone trying really hard to be some sort of absolutely ridiculous attempt at a cowboy of sorts. I’m not sure. Ha.
Stuff that happened at work. Hmm. Well Adam was back at work today. He was sick the past few days I guess. I was like, “Yeah sure, you skipped to have an extra long Valentine’s Day break with your wifey.” He didn’t say no. Hah. But he actually did sound like he was still sick. I asked what he did for V Day and he was like, “Oh you know, hot air balloon ride over the grand canyon, etc.” I was like, “Ohhhh yeaaaah. Very romantic Adam.” (Dripping in sarcasm, because obviously he did not do that.) But he said, “No really, that’s what we did.” Whatever. How cool would that be though!? I want to go in a romantic hot air balloon ride with a boy. Fuuuuun. Yeah, so I fed the monkeys with Adam. I fed the wallabies, roos, emus, deer, rabbits, and wombat by myself today. The roos and emus are crazy. They know when they get fed, so they all crowd around the gate and attack the bucket in your hands. There are six roos and quite a few emus. It’s wild. Mm, Aaron and I finished mulching around the Debrazza cage. I fed Hitler the koala by myself. It’s not like it’s hard. We get him new branches of eucalyptus every day and put them in different spots in his cage. He was following me around while I was putting his branches in. He is so cute! He let’s me pet him. Erin, Justine, and I raked a bit of the roo paddy. Yeah, the raking seriously never ends. However, Aaron and Erin told us that we did a great job with the rabbit enclosure. I guess they had previous interns rake the rabbit enclosure and it took them seriously all day and it still didn’t look as good as it did after we did it, and it only took us a few hours. Take that previous interns!
OH OH OH! BAHAHA I witnessed the funniest/saddest thing ever for the first time!! So Adam and I had just come back from like taking dead branches to the tip or something (By the way, they call dumpsters, skips or something. That’s unrelated, but I just thought of that.) and Rob caught us and was like, “Hey Adam I’ve got some live chucks over by the stump (which is where we chop up the dead wallabies and stuff for the devils and dogs, the one with the cleaver in it. yeah.)” So Justine was there too, and Rob looks at us and says, “Hey will you girls go fetch Azza, I doubt you would want to go see this.” Then he starts talking about which devils he wants the chucks fed to after Adam chops their heads off.. Ha. I was like, “Wait, I want to watch. I’ve never seen them run around with their heads chopped off..” Justine goes, “Sick. I don’t want to see that. I would just get mad.” Yeaaaah it might make me a sicko to want to see that, but for serioussss when else am I going to get this opportunity. “Have a go” is apparently a popular Aussie saying. So I want to “have a go” with as many things as possible that I probably won’t be around in the States ever. Ha. Pretty sure I won’t be around chuck head chopping any time soon when I go home. Anyway, so Justine left to help with branches, which she thought she would get to avoid since it’s a Thursday thing, but I guess we didn’t have too much to do today so Aaron and Adam went and got branches today and she had to go help put branches in the tank aviaries and stuff. Sucka. Not that I mind branches, actually. It’s not too bad. Okay okay okay, so we just got these huge blue apron things that we have to wear when we sort through the groceries because lots of stuff gets on us. So Adam was like, “Righto let’s go put our aprons on and grab some gloves!” Rob saw him and was like, “Uhhh why do you have all that on..” Adam responded with, “Dunno. For fun, I guess.” Hah. We looked like butchers. Seriously. It was so funny. It was good that he had the apron on though. So we headed to the stump in our butcher garb, and there were two containers with live chucks in them. They were freaking out. I was a little worried, but if you don’t really think about the fact that you are watching some animal get murdered, it’s not so bad. Plus, it’s probably the reason those chucks were raised for anyway. They were just fulfilling their life’s goal? I dunno. Ha. Anyway anyway anyway, so Adam snatched one of the chucks by it’s legs, tossed it on the stump, and whacked it’s head off with the cleaver. Too bad the cleaver is kind of dull, soooo the head was still hanging on by a thread.. Bahah. He tossed the chuck on the ground and it started freaking out! It was so funny! I felt like a sicko for laughing, but it was hilarious. It was seriously doing back flips. It was spouting blood from it’s headless neck and doing BACK FLIPS. I wish I could do back flips. I’m seriously not exaggerating either. It kept running around and flipping. The other ones did flips too, but also just kind of ran around. One of them kept hopping into the air and when it landed, it would land on it’s stomach and it would squawk. Heh. It sounded like a dog’s chew toy. Anyway, it was quite an experience. Rob came over to see how I was dealing with it, and he saw that I was laughing and he just busted out laughing. He thought it was the funniest thing ever that I thought it was funny. He kept telling people that I laughed.
We found out today that the baby ringtail possum was gone! We kept trying to figure out what happened. Someone was like, “I bet it died and they are just pretending that they dunno what happened to it.” Ha. I was so sad. Turns out Dick gave it to some lady that raises ringtail possums. I’m glad it’s not dead. That quoll just died, and Bala the lion tail macaque is blind now. I don’t want more bad things to happen to the animals. Also, when that quoll escaped a while ago it killed some of the pheasants that they had.
There was a camera guy there today. I guess Dick was getting interviewed for ABC News. Random.
We moved the little wallabies that have been living in the chuck yard into the big wallaby enclosure. Erin was worried because Harrison is still a little boy and she was worried the bigger males would hurt him. In fact, she was so worried that she started crying when we were watching the bigger males chase Harrison all around the enclosure. I felt bad for her. She raised Harrison, and then had to bring him to the zoo. I think she’s know little Harrison since he was just a little baby. Dick got really mad because he didn’t explicitly tell her to move the three little ones into the big wallaby pen, but he had told Erin a long time ago to move them and she didn’t think they were ready. So Dick was mad and was like, “Well I meant eventually! Blah blah blah” There’s always lots of issues about what Dick says to do as opposed to what Rob says to do. Like with the mulch yesterday. Rob said to do one thing with it, but Dick said to do another. It gets hard to make decisions. Thank goodness I’m just an intern and don’t have to choose which guy to listen to. Anyway, so we moved the wallabies. There are three and it was Erin, Justine, and I. I got to hold Flora. She is absolutely adorable. I was holding her in her little cap that she likes to hang out in. I was scratching her head and she was snuggling and falling asleep. It was adorable. I love her.
So Demetri Martin has this thing about the word ‘ladies.’ “Help! I’m trapped in a well and I can’t get out!... Ladies..” I told Adam about that because he had sad ladies once and we were talking about it. Ever since then, he’s been saying ‘ladies’ ALL the time. Hah. Justine was like, “Oh my gosh. Why did you tell him that!” Hehe. I think it’s funny. “It’s like a jacuzzi with really high walls.” I think the whole thing is about how you can make any statement creepy by adding ‘ladies’ to the end of it... ladies.
Okay, maybe we do say this in America, but it sounds weird to me for some reason. Everyone says, “How ya going?” instead of “How’s it going?” or “How are you?” How ya going? That’s weird right?
So the really exciting thing that happened today.. Rob stopped me and was like, “Hey could you take the baby wombat home tonight??” Eek! So I have a baby wombat in my house right now! We let her walk around for a bit in our living room. Heh. She’s blind and so I think it probably makes her nervous to walk around, so she was responding really well to sound and would come to us whenever we made noise. We would set her down and walk away and call her and she would come running. It was SO adorable times a billion. I got a video of it. Hah. I hope she gets better, I would be so sad if they had to put her down.. Justine’s been hogging her though. She carried her home and then was playing with her and then fed her and put her eye stuff on her eyes and was like, “Yeah she’s asleep.” So I didn’t get much play time with the baby wombat. Sighhh. It’s okay though. I’m just happy that I have a wombat in my house.
I think that’s about it for todayyy. The internets are not working at the moment. I think it’s cause the weather is bad or something. Rob says that makes the internet not work well. I really dunno. So I’m going to go maybe work out or something. We will see. Hah.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment