Tea With Cinnamon.

Sunday, February 20, 2011

By Katzenjammer is one of my new favorite songs.

It’s been an interesting weekend.

Most exciting part: Rob came over yesterday and handed us ANOTHER baby wombat. Haha. I have TWO BABY WOMBATS in my house. The one he gave us yesterday (Saturday) is a little boy. He’s way smaller than crazy little girl wombat. He’s really skinny. He’s also terrified of the world. Ha. He hisses a lot, not particularly at anything or anyone. He crawled under my legs and was sitting there hissing, just because. It was actually pretty funny. He isn’t blind. His mama got hit by a car or something, so someone found him and brought him into the zoo.

Another exciting part: I discovered that little girl wombat does somersaults! Bahah. It’s the cutest thing ever! She seriously was on the carpet going in circles doing somersaults for like five minutes straight. It was insanely awesome.

I tried Vegemite for the first time! Haha. Mel took Justine and I with her and Cody to a wildlife park in Mole Creek. It was a pretty bad wildlife park. There were no paths or anything. They had the kangaroos just wandering around all over the place, which was really cool, but they didn’t keep it clean, so there was tons of poo everywhere. There were some devils and quolls and a koala, but all of the enclosures were kind of crappy. It was nice to get out though. We were going to go through these caves, but we missed the tour at the closest time to us, and the next one wasn’t for another hour ish. Plus Mel had little Cody who is three and unable to sit still for two seconds and absolutely wild. When we were at the park he kept running up to his stroller (which they call a pram?) when he wasn’t in it and pushing it away. Once it even just fell over and all of Mel’s stuff fell out of it. He’s a crazy kid. He pronounces his c’s as t’s and his f’s as s’s. So he was talking about fishing a lot. It sounds like sissing. I had NO idea what he was talking about until Mel was like, “Oh sweetie we aren’t going fishing.” I finally figured out how he says some of his letters. Haha. Next time I’ll have no problem understanding him. He had these little toy planes and made me play with him. He would tell me where to ‘sly’ my plane and to go ‘sast’. It was pretty funny.. if it weren’t for fifty minutes which was how long the car ride was. It got old after a while, so I would stop, but he wouldn’t be happy with that, so he would throw his plane. Anyway, Mel made Justine and I vegemite sandwiches because we told her previously that neither of us had tried it yet. Mel said that all Australians LOVE vegemite. Hah. So we tried it. Justine took one bite and was disgusted out of her mind and wouldn’t eat the rest. I didn’t think it was horrible, so I ate my whole little sandwich. It is REALLY salty though. It tasted a bit like soy sauce. I don’t think I’ll eat it again any time soon. Hah.

Saturday I didn’t do anything. I read all day. Did some laundry. Played computer games. Lazed about all day.

Sunday was a much better day than I expected it to be! I was planning on taking two fifty dollar cab rides to get to church and back. So I went to the front of the zoo to catch a cab, but Judy (Rob’s mom who owns the zoo) was like well the zoo van is going into town, just take that and you don’t have to pay for an expensive cab. So I was planning on getting dropped off in town, and walking to the church building from there. Church is at one, and I had left at 1130 because I figured it would be a long walk. Ha. The lady that drove the zoo van told me that she would take me all the way to where I needed to go because she had nothing better to do. I got to the church building at 12. Ha. So I walked around and sat on a bench outside the church building for a while. I went into the chapel like twenty minutes before it started. As soon as I sat down, this man (who I’m pretty sure is the bishop, but I’m not sure..) came over and introduced himself and starting chatting with me. When he found out that I don’t have a car, he was going on about finding a ride for me to church and to institute on thursdays. So he starts talking to people around us, and introducing me and stuff. After he left me, more people started coming up and being like, “Oh are you American?” etc. Haha. The ward seemed a lot different than the first time I had gone. Of course, the first time I went, I was late and left early so I didn’t get to talk to anyone. There were more people that looked like they might be around my age, but I think it’s because uni is starting back up or something? There is a cute boy who is studying to be a doctor. So he must be older than me or something. He explained to the sunday school class what exactly leprosy is. He was sitting next to me. Of course, I didn’t talk to him except for when he lent me his scriptures because the teacher lady called on me to read. So I don’t know what his name is or anything. Anyway, so I saw the guy I’m assuming is the bishop go up to this girl who looked like she could be around my age and talk to her about me. After sacrament meeting she came up to me and introduced herself. Her name is Jess. We chatted for a bit and then I asked if I could follow her to Sunday school. She’s super nice and friendly. I’m super glad I met her because she seems like she would hang out with me and stuff while I’m here! Yay friends! So the ward is reeeeeeally small. It’s so small that the Sunday school seems to consist of kids who were ranging in age from high school to college, and there was only like twelve ish people in the class. So maybe cute doctor boy is younger than I think he is. Haha. It was a really fun class though. Relief Society was reaaalllyy small too. Everyone seems really close though. It seems like a cozy ward. If that even makes sense. Hah. During Relief Society, the presidency introduced me and told everyone to introduce themselves to me. After Relief Society, like three or four ladies came and introduced themselves and chatted with me. Haha. One lady took the flowers from the table at the front and handed them to me saying, “Welcome to Australia!” Heh. Anyway, so I figured I would take a cab home from church, but Jess was like, “Oh no way! We will give you a ride home!” I felt really bad because it’s really out of the way, but she insisted. So I got a ride home from church! I thought that I would have to pay a hundred bucks today to go to church, and I ended up not having to pay any money! I was so happy! I brought Jess and her brother (Luke?) come in and hold the baby wombats. It was the very very least that I could do in exchange for driving me all the way home. Jess gave me her number and offered to drive me to institute and church and stuff. So nice! I’m so excited! Of course, I won’t be here this Thursday for institute or Sunday for church because I’ll be in Melbourne for the weekend. I’m actually a little sad that I won’t be here for the weekend because now I really really want to go to institute and church and make more friends. Haha. I am excited about Melbourne though. I think we are doing a beach day and going to Luna park which is like a carnivaly type place then the next day we are probably going to Melbourne Zoo! Wooooo! Anyway, so church was really great. I loved feeling so welcomed after such a long time of feeling so lonely. It was so comforting to be at church because it’s such a familiar thing even though I didn’t know anyone there. You can always count on everyone being super nice at an LDS church. Yeah, so it lifted my spirits and made me feel better about being out here.

0 comments:

Post a Comment