When Frogs Attack.

Sunday, January 30, 2011

So I’ve finally made it to Launceston, Tasmania! The plane rides were pretty uneventful. I flew from Cairns to Melbourne first. It was like a three and a half hour flight. I had around three hours between landing and my next flight, so I went to re check my bags, but of course they had a specific time that I was allowed to check my bags back in and of course it wasn’t until an hour later. So I lugged my massive bags around for an hour. After checking them back in, I sat at the gate and did nothing for two hours until we finally got on the plane. The flight seriously felt like five minutes. In all actuality it was probably fifty ish minutes, but by the time I was allowed to use my ipod, I got a chance to listen to like five songs before a flight attendant told me to put turn my ipod off because we were beginning our descent. Crazy right? Anyway, the airport was super tiny. Just like Burbank. I got off the plane and into the airport and a cute skinny blonde lady with a small child was standing there with a sign that had my name on it. Her name is Mel and the small child is Cody, he is three and he is an absolute riot. Mel is my supervisor’s girlfriend. She just barely moved to Tazzie to live with him. She’s super nice and we chatted the whole drive. She even stopped at a grocery store so I could get some food and a blow dryer and straightener and stuff. Side note: I just attempted to straighten my hair for the first time in Australia and it was an epic fail.. my hair is still a frizzy mess. Looks like I’ll be wearing it up pretty much every single day. Anyway, going into an Australian grocery store was a little weird. It’s basically the same as any American grocery store.. except all of the brands are completely different, and I’m not sure they have different percent milks. Of course I don’t really know because I mostly just kind of grabbed things and hoped they were edible or drinkable or something useful to me. Ha. Mel had originally sent me into the store by myself and she was going to hang out in the car with little Cody, but after like five minutes she came running into the store and found me and was like “I just realized that you’re not from here and maybe it’s different! So I came to help!” So Cody hopped onto the cart because he’s wild like that, and they walked around with me helping me find things. Cody threw a fit because he wanted those chewy vitamin things, and then he threw a fit in the car when he could eat the whole entire bottle of chewy vitamin things. He grabbed bags of groceries and was waving them around. It was hilarious. Mel told me that Cody has already been on 24 plane rides. The kid is only three years old and he’s been to like Thailand and Singapore and all over Australia. He also lives at a zoo. I mean what three year old wouldn’t kill to live at a zoo and be able to pet all these cool animals all the time. Lucky little bugger. Anyway, after the grocery store we headed to my new home for the next little while.

After a rough drive on some little dirt roads, we pulled up to this place...



Obviously, I was a little apprehensive.. Haha. However, when we got inside it looks even better than like my apartment in Provo. Ha. Here’s some pictures..



The bedroom is pretty spacious. You’ll notice that there is a small bed, and a big bed. Guess which one I snagged? Yeaaaaah. I’m selfish. However, when she arrived she said, “I would’ve done the same.” So I feel less bad about taking the better bed.



Walk-in closet? Yes please! It’s awesome. I want my own real walk-in closet. Of course, I would rather not share one so all my clothes don’t have to be folded up like that. Oh wells. There’s a full length mirror on the wall you can’t see. So it’s pretty sweet. There’s a curtain as well so you can close it when you’re changing and stuff.

Okay it was really hard to get a picture to do this justice, so I'm just going to tell you about it. Our shower has no tub or separation from the rest of the floor at all. Like there’s just a curtain. The shower at the hotel in Cairns is like that too. So our floor is like permanently wet in the bathroom since the water just goes everywhere when you shower.



This is the living room and the kitchen past that. It’s bigger than my living room in Provo with a nicer TV. Haha. The couches are pretty comfy, too. Mel put some movies in our place for us. It’s a really random collection of movies. There are quite a few horror movies, like Saw. Yeah right, like I’m going to watch that movie while I’m in this little house in the middle of nowhere and there’s lots of weird noises at night and I’m with some girl I don’t even know. Sounds like fun, yeah? Ha. No there’s a few movies I haven’t seen that I plan on watching, so that should be good since I probably actually won’t be able to get down to town very often.. Speaking of movies, Mel told me that movies in America play here too, but not until waaay later. She went to America for a month long trip and saw a movie there, and when she came back the same movie came out like 7 months later. So weird. So I’m interested to see what stuff is playing around here right now. Anyway, the kitchen isn’t huge, but it’s not like I need much space. It’s nice enough. Whatevs.



This is some nice little squishy chair near a window that looks like a really fantastic reading place. It reminds me of the chairs in my living room at home in California. I’ll most definitely be spending a lot of time in it.

So yeah, I’m just getting used to living in a new place with a new person, who I don’t know if I particularly get along with very well. We’re civil enough with each other that I don’t think this will be a problem. I’m excited to see the zoo. Mel says it’s not a super nice zoo in that it doesn’t have lots of nice new buildings and stuff like that, but she says it’s really great. I’m stoked.

Ah the frog thing. Right. So last night I came into my room and Justine, my roommate, was on the floor reaching under her bed saying stuff like “Get back here!” I asked her what the heck she was doing and she said, “Oh there’s a frog in here.” She finally got him and showed him to me. Here he is!



We also had a lizard visit us. He was not caught. Who knows where he is now.

This morning I went outside and walked down a little path to look around a little bit, so here’s the gorgeous stuff that I get to live by :)










1 comments:

Amber said...

DUDE IS THAT YOUR DOG?!

Post a Comment