So yeah it’s really hard living in the middle of nowhere with no reliable transportation.. I wanted to go to church, but the building was pretty far from where we are. I asked Mel about buses and stuff. The zoo has a bus that takes people to town, but it wasn’t running. Mel drove me, but she needed me to leave after just one hour because she had other stuff and it was like a half hour drive to the church building.. At least I got to go to Sacrament Meeting though. My roommate seems to think it’s a bit ridiculous that I’m Mormon or religious or something. She was telling Mel about how she’s definitely a completely different religion and that my religion is way more churchy than “normal” religions. She said she believed more in family and so she would never go to church without her family with her. She made it sound like I clearly do not care about my family since I go to church without them. How dare I! I had a few choice words for her, but I restrained. Hah. We also talked to Rob today and he had mentioned that he would like one of us to work on Sunday through Wednesday because he is the only one working Sundays. He told us that whoever did would get a lot more learning experience faster because they would be the only other person there with him. Justine jumped at the opportunity to say, “Well she’s religious and stuff and so she HAS to go to church on Sundays, but I can do it.” Obviously I would have told him that I don’t work on Sundays, but she just feels this need to cut me down or something. Also, we were talking to another person who works in the gift shop ish place and she asked us where we are from and Justine is from Wisconsin and the lady kind of laughed and I told her I was from LA area in California and she was like, “Oh man, watch out! This girl knows how to party!” Justine was like, “Psh yeah right! She doesn’t even drink so you won’t have to worry about her doing anything.” Thank you Justine. I’m really glad you’re not rude or anything. That would suck. One last Justine comment, and then I’ll go into the actual good stuff. She listens to country music. Aggghhhhhhh. She turned it on loudly on her computer yesterday forcing me to listen to it until I just couldn’t, so I got my ipod out and tuned it all out.
Right so I went to my first Sacrament meeting in Tazzie. That was interesting. It was the smallest ward I’ve ever seen. I don’t know how I’m going to be able to keep getting there though because I can’t very well expect Mel to drive me every Sunday, and if she does I won’t be able to stay for the whole three hours.. I need to figure something out.. Anyway, it was really funny because basically no one can sing there. Hahah. Seriously everyone kept singing at like different speeds and so it kind of sounded just weird and poorly organized, but in an endearing way, if that makes sense. I felt like I fit in because I can’t sing. They also sing every verse for all the songs, like the verses that are always at the bottom of the page instead of with the music and stuff. I loved being there because it was really comforting. It is exactly like going to church in the States except they sound cooler because they have rad accents. Side note: trying to understand a three year old boy with an Australian accent is extremely difficult. I sat next to Cody in the car and he had this motorbike toy and he kept talking about the exhaust pipes and I had no idea what he was talking about for the longest time. Other than that, Cody and I get along better than I get along with anyone else. Hah. He stole my nose many times during the car ride and threw it out the window. It was pretty thrilling. Anyway, the talks were very good and spiritually uplifting. I wish that I had been able to stay for the rest of church.
I finally got to check out the zoo that I’ll be working at! It’s way different than any zoo I’ve ever been to before. It’s pretty old and all the walkways are dirt and stuff, but it’s quaint and they have some cool stuff. I saw some really amazing animals for the first time ever today! I took some pictures, but not as many as I should have, but I’ll be here for a while so it’s not like I won’t have a plethora of opportunities to snag more photos. There’s a LOT of birds there. Some pretty cool ones. They have these Tazzie eagles that are just hanging out on this little islandy place in the lake next to the zoo and they don’t leave. They aren’t closed in or anything. It was amazing. They are absolutely beautiful. They are these gorgeous big black raptors. Fascinating. They have “Australian Dogs”, but Mel told me they are actually Dingoes, but apparently they aren’t supposed to have Dingoes so they are “Australian Dogs.” They sign says that they are way different from Dingoes though, so maybe Mel just THINKS that they are Dingoes. Who knows. They’ve got two little crocs or gators. I don’t remember. Lots of cute monkeys. They have marmosets! They are the cutest monkeys ever! They’re super small and silly looking. I love them. There are Eastern and Spotted Quolls. Quolls are freaking adorable. One of them was super active and it kept coming up to the little window and sitting on it’s hind legs like it was begging me to pick him up and snuggle him. They have one snake. It’s a Tiger snake I think. It’s all black though, so I’m not sure why it’s called a Tiger snake. I saw lots of emus. They make the weirdest noises. I can’t even describe it, but it’s weird. They were following us and it was a bit unnerving. There were some little baby emus too. They could stick their heads out of the little fences. There are little blue penguins there! So funny. We watched Rob feed them. There are like six of them. One is in the middle of molting, so he’s super fat and fluffy. So adorable. I got a picture of him. Lots of kangaroos and wallabies. Some deer. A wombat! Alpacas. A pony. Some sheep and goats and little cows. A huge koala. The roos, deer, and emus were all in the same HUGE enclosure, and Rob went to go feed them and they knew he was coming to feed them so all of a sudden there was this huge crowd of kangaroos, deer, and emus running towards Rob. It was a crazy feeding frenzy! It was so funny. Oh also, there were tons of roosters running around the zoo. They are like the peacocks of every other zoo I’ve ever been to, except there are way more of them. Also, there was a peacock which ruins my peacock analogy.. It was still funny, okay. There was an enclosure that was supposed to be a wombat, but all I saw in it was a bunch of bunnies. I saw my first Echidna EVER! It was so cool! They are such silly animals. He was wandering around in the kangaroo, emu, deer enclosure. Also on my “I’ve never seen this animal in real life and it’s mind boggling to actually get the chance to!” list are... the Tazzie Devils! There are a bunch at this zoo. OH. MY. GOODNESS. They are everything I imagined and more! We got to watch Rob feed them. He feeds them kangaroo arms and legs and stuff. They hiss and growl and stuff. It’s so fun. I got some good pictures. They are really vicious. Rob also had a baby Tazzie Devil with him! I GOT TO PET HER! IT WAS THE GREATEST MOMENT EVER!!!! She was absolutely precious. Highlight of my life. It will probably be up there with stuff like getting married and having kids. Ha.
Well I start work tomorrow! I hope I do okay.. It seems pretty chill. I’m still a little bit nervous that I will pale in comparison to Justine. She is two years older and knows a lot more than I do and has more experience and stuff. We will seeeeeeee.
Also, I found out today that Rob shuts the internets off from 11 am to 11 pm.. What the heck? So I can only get on the internet in one spot of the house late at night or early in the morning. Sighhh. Oh well. I’ll adjust. Probably. :)

1 comments:
HE FEEDS THEM ARMSSSS!!!!! Algebraic!!!!
Post a Comment