Happy Australia Day!!

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

FYI: This was supposed to be posted yesterday, but I didn't have time. Sooooo all of this is about yesterday. Not today. :)

That’s what today is. It’s a for real holiday. I don’t know what it’s for though. The girl that I’m living with for the next ten weeks does. She didn’t tell me. I know, she’s a peach. Anyway...

I’M IN AUSTRALIA!

...And I already have like three mosquito bites! It’s so exciting! Haha. I’m currently in Cairns for a few days for an orientationy type thing. It is really beautiful here and I really love it. Honestly though, I would rather be in Tasmania starting my internship. I’m with like fifteen other people who are doing different internships through out Australia and they are mostly all nice people, but I feel like this is vacationy stuff and I would rather do vacationy stuff with people like my family or close friends. So far these people have mostly talked about how they are really excited to hit all the bars and party. One girl who actually happens to be from my hometown (I don’t know her though.. it was one of those “So where are you from?” “Valencia, CA” “....Are you serious??”...etc.) was even saying how grateful she is that she isn’t living with an Australian family because she wouldn’t be able to bring boys home. This boy in our group got a bag full of free booze from a flight attendant because his tv on the fourteen hour flight didn’t work. He has been taking shots since we got to the hotel. Ha. It’s all very thrilling, except that I could care less for all that. So I just really want to go be in Tasmania at the zoo and start all that. I’m trying to stay positive about all of this.

Anywaaaay, how about more on my billion hour flight? So I got on my first flight, the fourteen hour one, and I ended up sitting next to this really attractive guy. Dark, long, curly ish hair. Bright blue eyes. Little bit of scruff. We didn’t talk the whole flight except for when he let me use his pen and when he needed me to move so he could get out. Ha. He also ended up falling asleep and his head fell on my shoulder. I of course did not get any sleep whatsoever because a Jewish guy sitting in front of me reclined his seat all the way back before the plane even started to move. I had zero space and was uncomfortable and wanted to sleep, but couldn’t fall asleep. It was sad. So we land in Brisbane fourteen hours later, and then cute guy starts talking to me. He has fourteen hours to talk to me and he didn’t strike up a conversation until we were heading to the baggage claim. Of course he was a little less attractive once he started talking because he felt it was necessary to drop the f bomb every other word. We parted ways and the passport stamper guy talked to me like I was really suspicious, but now I have another stamp in my passport! I had to get my bags and re check them and while I was in line to re check them, I was looking around and saw three boys in suits with name tags! Hahah. I chatted with them about their upcoming missions and stuff for a little bit. It was precious. I had to go get on a bus to go to the domestic terminal after that and as soon as I got outside of the airport to find the bus the humidity made my beautifully straight hair fluff up and look silly. The missionary boys ended up being on the same bus as me so I sat with them and chatted some more. We were buds. Finally, I got to the domestic terminal to catch my flight from Brisbane to Cairns and I went through security, but before heading to my gate a security guy stopped me and said that he randomly selected me for an explosive residue test. The Australians must think I look untrustworthy or something. Ha. So he poked me and my stuff with a weird stick thing and then let me go finally. This flight was only two ish hours long so it wasn’t bad at all. I was stuck sitting next to a weird guy that had tattoos all over him. They were really ugly too. One was a skull with a sword flying out of its mouth... which sounds cooler than it looked.. Haha. I got to Cairns safely and met up with some of the program leader guys and got on a bus and now I’m in a tiny hotel room wanting to be at a zoo.

Oh also, a boy here brought two suitcases that are bigger than my biggest suitcase PLUS another smaller suitcase. A BOY. I was sad I didn’t bring another suitcase.

Oh and one more thing, on the Qantas airlines safety instruction sheet thing, there is a picture of a furby in the electronics picture. Heh.

0 comments:

Post a Comment